Saturday, August 15, 2009

Don't Give Up (You are Loved) or not...

I’ve been on a Josh Groban kick lately. I absolutely adored him freshman year of college (as Tiffany and Jessica can attest), but the fascination had fizzled a bit in subsequent years (further demonstrating my obsessive and then entirely dismissive personality). But now I’m listening to his Awake album, Don’t Give Up (You are Loved) and my cynical side is almost letting me enjoy it (with inevitable sarcastic quips of course). It is fantastic writing music.

Which leads me to my next topic: I’ve started writing again. Which feels great. There is a total release when I write, not unlike an addiction; but I flatter myself that it is a healthy addiction and therefore I’ll indulge. I’m working on a novel and a short story at the same time. The short story should be interesting, mostly because it says a lot about my views of marriage these days (And that’s a whole other story). When I’m done I’m going to start another blog for my fiction and I’ll give you the link if I’m not too embarrassed. But I should warn you--at the rate I’m going--it could be a while. I find that I write about two pages, stop, and then spend two hours polishing. It might be better if I could just push through and keep writing, but my random perfectionism (random because it only pops out occasionally for random activities) does not permit it unfortunately.

Speaking of random activities, my dad’s boss laid him off yesterday. Which is EXTREMELY random because he is one damn good sales guy. And I’ve never even been to business school but even I know Business 101: Don’t lay off the guys bringing in the money. I think we’re all pretty confused about it. However, I think in the end it will be a good thing. He hated that job and after this move, I’m glad he doesn’t have to work for arrogant, business school dropouts who obviously have NO idea how to run a business. So long unidentified audio and visual supply company. Go f*** yourselves.

And that is my update. Sorry it ended on a sad note, but this week has been kind of s*** and I’m feeling a little melancholy myself.

5 comments:

Tessa said...

I'm sorry about your dad being laid off. That's really weird...Sometimes bosses are just plain stupid.

I want to read your fiction blog!!! You must let me know when you make it!!

Haha, I am also subject to uber random perfectionism. It pops out in the weirdest moments, right?

Anna said...

I'm sorry about your dad, too. Maybe you could publish a book to bring in money :-D I know I'd buy it!

Also, Josh Groban has awesome hair.

Emily J said...

I think of you every time I listen to that song. Which is ... well ... frequently.

Jessica Holmes said...

You didn't tell me you might be moving! You were going to let me move to FL and then tell me weren't you!

Actually, I'd just lost track of your blog and just found it again...hurray.

Anyway, You didn't call me this week so minus ten points, but I'm going to try and call in the next few days! :-p

Red said...

When you said "business school drop-out" I immediately thought, 'beauty school drop out' and had to tell you.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, that's tough--but I have the benefit of reading a few entries up, and I'm excited that he may find something new.