Friday, December 12, 2008

My Friday Morning Wake-up Call

I saw the saddest thing today while I was walking to the subway. There were two little boys—they couldn’t have been older than 10—and they were talking while waiting to cross the street. One had his hair teased into a Mohawk and they both had huge ratty puffer coats and pants that were at least three sizes too big.

My first reaction when seeing them: How cute. Little gangstas.

Then I went back to thinking about all the projects I had to finish today. That is, until I got within hearing distance. It was unbelievable.

The boy on the left (sans-mohawk): Man, my brother knocked a guy off last night.
Right boy (with Mohawk): With what?
Left boy: With a gun, you dumb ass.
Right boy: He had it coming, right?
Left boy: Hell yeah! He had the crack.
Right boy: Oh.
Left boy: My brother don’t take no shit.
Right boy: Yeah.

Maybe the kid of the left was making the entire thing up to impress his friend. But what if he wasn’t? And what does that say about those boy’s futures when a murder would impress them? It was really, really sad. And of course "sad" doesn't quite describe it.

On a whole different note, my sister is here and I'm a little worried for her. She says one of her finals didn't "go through" so now she has to re-take the class. But she is all set to go to UCF in January and I really hope that doesn't affect her starting classes there. And she doesn't want to tell mom. Which always ends up being a mistake. But we had a really nice time last night--I made a spelt noodle, green bean, pesto dish and salad for dinner. Then later we talked over hot chocolate and oatmeal raisin cookies (that I baked!). I have to say, I was really impressed with myself. I also have expelled every ounce of domesticity for the entire week. It's time for take-out, late nights and cosmos!

And Emily is coming tonight! Fun times ahead...

3 comments:

Arianna said...

Omg, that is so sad. They're just babies. :(

Emily J said...

OMG, seriously?? The whole reason I was TEXTING her is because I thought she was passing the info on to you.

*SIGH*

Yeah, so anyway...at least Saturday was fun, right? :-\

Anna said...

Wow... that's awful.